PHILIPPA NAYLOR CLASSES 2016
Two Day Workshop - All Levels.
A practical workshop packed full of information and advice to help you achieve beautifully crafted precise work. Philippa Naylor shares her experience of over 25 years as a clothes designer and more recently top award winning quiltmaker. You will produce a perfectly sized ‘no points lost’ blocks, add double mitred borders and leave the class with all the skills needed to take your piecing to award winning levels.
Philippa will discuss the materials and equipment she uses in her own work. She will then demonstrate a variety of techniques. The focus will be on use of colour and choosing fabrics, how important tonal value is, achieving the most accurate cutting, sewing and pressing (and having fun doing all of this!).
Students will be guided, step-by-step, through the making of a ‘Crown’ block. This attractive block includes flying-geese units, half square triangles and careful point alignment, and so is ideal for practising a variety of skills. Several blocks can be made and we will explore creative ways of joining them with sashing and other pieced sections. Mitred double borders techniques are demonstrated and then students sew these to their block/s during the second part of the workshop.
What you need to bring with you:
1. Sewing machine in good working order. Please bring all accessories including your slide on tray table and knee bar if you have one. A straight stitch plate is also useful. If you have recently bought a new machine please familiarise yourself with how it works before the class as Philippa will not have time during the class to help you do this.
2. Sewing machine needles. Sizes 60/8 and 70/10 Microtex are good for precise work.
3. Basic sewing supplies including scissors, pins, tape measure etc.
4. Rotary cutter and mat. A sharp blade in your cutter is an advantage!
5. A long ruler (at least 12” x 6”).
6. A square which measures 6½” minimum. This square is essential.
7. Notebook and pens.
8. An iron and small ironing board will be useful if you have them, 2 will be supplied by Creative Quilting for everybody to use.
9. Quarter inch sewing machine foot.
10. Extension cord (optional, supplied by Creative Quilting)
11. Quilters’ triangular ‘ruler’ is optional.
12. You will need to bring a minimum of eight fabrics of different tonal values - to include fat quarter and half yard pieces of light, medium and dark fabrics. A print or ‘focus fabric’ with a printed design is often a good starting point as other fabrics that tone and contrast with this can then be chosen.
13. Fine sewing thread (50 weight cotton or a fine polyester thread such as Bottom Line are both good).
Students sometimes worry about their fabric choices. Don’t! Although it is fun to have a nice project at the end of the workshop what really matters is what you learn during the class, not what you go home with. However if you are unsure what to bring then come with a few choices from your stash. You may not use everything you bring, but it is sometimes nice to have alternatives. Please note that I have allowed a generous amount of fabric - just in case you need to re-cut anything!