Class requirements for Paper Piecing with Valerie – Basic requirements
When attending the class, please make sure you bring the following with you:
- Tacking thread
- Neutral sewing thread – Bottom Line grey 622 works very well with most fabrics
- Marking pencil that shows on light and dark fabrics
- Needles – including fine ones for piecing and appliqué
- Appliqué glue (Roxanne) or fine pins (only required if appliqué is involved)
- Scissors, 1x6” ruler, cutting mat and rotary cutter if you have one
- Plastic covered paper clips (Valerie will bring some if you don’t have)
- 100% cotton fabrics – small prints work best
If working on the Hexie Halves:
Choose a colour and then pick:
8 assorted dark prints – 10cm of each
8 assorted light prints – 10cm of each
You will also need 1” Hexagon papers and 1” Half Hexagon papers (cutting templates are always useful too!). These will be available to purchase on the day of the class if you need them.
As an approximate guide, a 14” cushion front requires 16x1” hexagons and 112 x 1”half hexagons.
If working on the Hexie Thirds:
Strip rolls work really well for this project and speed up the selection and preparation process.
You will also need a pack of Hexie Thirds papers and an acrylic template. These will be available to purchase on the day of the class if required.
Don’t forget your packed lunch! Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided throughout the day and there are some excellent coffee shops on Bridge Road to tempt you.